My Online Recipe Box

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

2 soups I want to try

We really like soup at our house. A blogger I follow just posted these two and I want to try them. They are: Baked Potato Soup and White Chicken Chili (for the crockpot!)
In case she decides to remove them from her site, I am copying them below: (Literally cut and paste...see her site for more!)

BAKED POTATO SOUP
  • 3 lbs baked potatoes (=6 baker potatoes)
  • 1 T. butter
  • 1 1/2 c. onion
  • 2 T. minced garlic
  • 1 14 oz. can chicken broth
  • 3 c. milk
  • 1 T. salt
  • 1/4 t. pepper

Melt butter in pan and saute onions & garlic about 10 minutes until soft, but not brown.
Add 2/3 of the potatoes--mashed.
Add broth, milk, salt & pepper
Bring to simmer, stirring occasionally
Cut up remaining potatoes into small cubes and add to soup--stirring gently.

Top with sour cream, cheese, green onions and bacon.

I usually just use dried onions because I'm too lazy to cut up a real onion most of the time. Same with the garlic. I usually use the bottled stuff.

Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
  • 2 (14 oz) cans chicken broth
  • 3-4 chicken breasts, trimmed of fat
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 2 tsp ground cumin
  • 2 tsp dried oregano leaves
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp crushed red pepper
  • 2 cans great northern beans
  • 1 can white shoepeg corn
  • 3 Tbsp lime juice
  • 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro

Add chicken, broth, cumin, oregano, garlic, salt, and red pepper to slow cooker. Cover and let cook for about 6-8 hours on low or until chicken falls apart. Shred the chicken with two forks. Drain and rinse the beans and corn and add them to the slow cooker. Add chopped cilantro and lime juice to slow cooker. Put cover back on and let cook for 30 more minutes until heated through.

We topped it with cheese and tortilla chips. We also did tortillas the next night. It kind of resembles more of a tortilla soup vs. a chili. Whatever you want to call it though--it is divine.

1 comment:

  1. OH I love Baked Potato Soup! I also have one on my recipe blog but it doesn't have broth in it. I might have to try this one out :)

    ReplyDelete